Do you ever feel like your teeth are wearing fuzzy slippers? It’s not actually fuzz that you’re feeling, but plaque! Everyone knows that plaque is bad, but have you ever been told what it actually is?
Plaque is a sticky biofilm made up of hundreds of naturally-occurring bacteria that feed on the food we eat. The bacteria create a byproduct that damages tooth enamel which results in, you guessed it, cavities!
Beat plaque today with these seven tips.
- Brush at least twice a day
- Floss at least once a day! (Flossing helps remove pieces of food in between teeth where toothbrushes can reach)
- Rinse with an antibacterial mouthwash (a fluoride mouthwash works too)
- Chew sugarless gum. It helps remove particles of food between teeth and stimulates saliva production which neutralizes acid and prevents plaque buildup.
- Limit the amount of sweet and starchy foods you eat.
- Avoid smoking and other tobacco use!!
- Make regular checkups and cleanings a priority.
If you have any questions about plaque or how to prevent it, call Advanced Dentistry of Collegeville at (610) 489-5555. We’d be more than happy to talk with you!