You’ve always been told to see your dentist twice a year for a dental hygiene appointment, but are you aware of the importance behind them? Studies have shown that periodontal disease (gum disease) can contribute to the development of heart disease. How? Bacteria from plaque can lead to blood clots and ultimately, heart attacks or strokes. Periodontal disease can also cause complications with diabetes and has been proven to contribute to low birth weight babies.
It is MUCH more than just a cleaning. Take a look at some of the things we do during your dental hygiene visit:
- Review you medical history and modify treatment as needed.
- Perform and oral cancer screening.
- Perform a thorough periodontal screening to evaluate your periodontal health.
- Perform radiographic procedures for detecting cavities and evaluating the overall health of your teeth and supporting structures.
- Examine existing fillings.
- Detect new decay.
- Evaluate the need for sealants in children and, when necessary, in adults.
- Evaluate your bite and the consequences of missing or crowded teeth.
- Recheck the fit of appliances (night guards, dentures, etc.)
- Remove hardened deposits (tartar or calculus) and soft, sticky bacterial deposits (plaque) to promote oral health.
- Remove surface staining on teeth from coffee, tea, tobacco, etc.
- Floss and check the contacts of the teeth.
- Personalize oral hygiene instructions and make recommendations on what tools to use at home to best clean your teeth.
- Clean dental appliances.
- Provide intra-oral photos of problem areas so you can see what we see.
- Application of fluoride to aid in the prevention of decay.
- Treatment plan of your present and future dental needs.
- Evaluate your total dental needs and refer you as needed to specialists.
- Inform you of the latest dental treatments and technology available in our office.
- Evaluate cosmetic needs to give you a more beautiful smile.
As you can see, your hygiene appointment does much more than simply clean your teeth! It’s vital that you visit your dentist twice a year for dental hygiene, and now you know why! Call us today at 610-489-5555 to schedule your next dental hygiene appointment.